- 99% of adults have lost their natural ability to breathe in to their full lung’s capacity.
- In his book Prana Pranayama Prana Vidya, Swami Niranjan explains the mechanics of breathing.
- A healthy adult male should be able to inhale as much as 4.5 ltrs of air in one inhalation.
- However most of them are able to inhale only 0.5 ltrs in one inhalation.
- The reason is very simple, they have forgotten the right way to breathe.
- During the basic course, each participant is taught to first of all breathe properly and is then taught to expand and increase the breathing capacity
- Abdominal breathing
- Yogic breathing
- interrupted breathing
- Nadi Sodhana pranayama
- Bramhari Pranayama
These practices are introduced during a basic course.
We have explained in the earlier posts about the connection between body-prana-mind. Since the states of mind have a close relationship with the way you breathe, it is of utmost importance for one to breathe correctly.
Secondly after breathing is corrected, the next important development would be to improve the breath capacity. The breathing practices that are covered during this course are preliminary practices that will help one to improve all the four steps of pranayama (inhalation:retention:exhalation:external retention).